Monday, August 6, 2012

Target Envy/ The Wise Old Owl


I have a confession to make.
I have a bad case of Target envy-- being jealous of all the fabulous stuff my fellow bloggers have been finding at Target.  Apparently Target has become the style capitol of the megastore world.  From drool-worthy lamps, and gorgeous rugs, to bedding that rivals/replicates fancier, much more expensive designer styles, what isn’t there to like?
 The problem? We don’t have a Target around here! :(
Most of the time, I manage to console myself with the thought that I really can’t afford any of it anyway. J Honestly, it’s much better for me (and my budget) that we don’t have one any closer than an hour’s drive (which is a drive we rarely, if ever make… thank goodness for my pocketbook) At least, so I’ve been telling myself…



That is, until Bonnie posted a picture of this adorable ceramic owl that she found at Target for $2.50. Okay, even my pocket change budget could handle this adorable fella! (It didn’t help that it is the spitting image of this white one from Anthropologie-- which costs, ahem, $16.00… see how much I’d SAVE by buying it at Target?) I REALLY needed wanted one of these guys!

So when my trip to Indiana took me into Target territory, I knew what I had to do.

Lo and behold, after digging through the dollar bins, I found the LAST ONE—in black, with multiple chips on his poor little noggin. No prob—I knew he’d be soon encountering my trusty sidekick, Mr. Spray Paint (this, however, did not stop me from asking for—and receiving—a 10% discount for damaged goods! That’s right, I bought this fella for $2.25!)
The hardest part was deciding what color to paint him. Do I go for white, like the original one I fell in love with, or for a zippy color-- like my newly-beloved aqua, or the quintessential favorite, bright green?

I finally decided to go with Rustoleum Apple Green. (After all, I can always give him another makeover later, if I really want the white!)


Doesn’t he look fabulous?


And, for now at least, my Target envy has been salved. :)


And every time I look at him, he reminds me of the lesson of the wise old owl…
A wise old owl sat in an oak
The more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke, the more he heard
Why can’t we all be like that wise old bird?
-- Nursery Rhyme
 
P.S. If you would like to download a frameable copy of the "Small Things, Great Love" quote, click here!


  Parties I link to:

Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:

12 comments :

  1. I love the little owl. Great color choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love the green. Great choice. If I'd have known he was at Target I would have picked one up too. :( I'll keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these and bought 2. A white one and a yellowy-green one. And then yesterday I bought cute dog salt and pepper shakers. The prices can't be beat. I found your link on the Winthrop Chronicles. Have a great day!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the color you chose! Our nearest Target is about 40 minutes away, so it's hard for us to get there often. When I do go, oh I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the green! I go to Target about four times a year. It's probably a good thing that I don't particularly close to one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the green! Way cute! Wish there were Target kinda closer to me too. Although it's easier to resist spending when it's far away.
    Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh girl, I'm with you on the Target-obsession! It's a constant struggle NOT to spend every free minute and free dollar at that place! But I confess, I DO have the little owl, too :) And he looks fantastic in green. Nice job!!!

    thanks so much for sharing at mercyINK! hope you'll keep linking up your goodness :)

    Lauren
    www.mercyinkblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just stopping by again to thank you for sharing this on Marvelous Mondays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's so cute! I wonder if my Target has anymore!

    recreateandrepin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love love LOVE comments! Please take a second and leave me one... it'll make my day!